Monday, September 27, 2010

One of Those Days

Today's plan was to drop off the kids at school, start some laundry, go to work and then spend an hour at the library writing before picking the kids up. Today was the only day this week I had a good chance of getting there and I was really looking forward it. But due to some unforeseen circumstances (don't you just hate those?), I couldn't manage to squeeze in that hour.

Once I got home, it was impossible to sit down and write. Just too much going on. I thought, "Well, maybe once I finish this I can go upstairs where it's quiet." Of course this was the day my neighbor decided to expand his driveway. Expanding a driveway is NOT quiet in case you were wondering. All kinds of machinery and trucks and loud noises were involved. "Well maybe after dinner...after the dishes...after...after...after..." Just too many afters tonight.

But it wasn't a total loss. No, I didn't get any writing done. But I discovered something about myself. I LOVE to write! No, really! And yes, I already knew that in my head of course. But today, the longing to sit down and write was overwhelming. I felt it right down to my toes.

Yeah, writing can be frustrating to the point of wanting to delete chapters or throw the notebook across the room (um, not that I ever did that *crosses fingers*), but the flip side is the rush when a scene seems to fly from your fingertips. Or those lightbulb moments that come out of nowhere that are so brilliant. You just know it's perfect and you can't wait to flesh it out on paper (or computer). I had such a moment in the shower last night and couldn't wait to write the scene that would accompany that thought. That's why the disappointment hit me hard today. I never got the chance.

But tomorrow's another day. It should be a quiet afternoon with only one at home. It won't be the library, but maybe I can tempt my muse to visit here with a new supply of chocolate.

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about those unforeseen circumstances. They seem to plague me day after day after day.

    I am sure your muse will be delighted to pay a visit and sample your supply of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unforseen circumstances can really bum a writer out. You'd be amazed how you think you have all this time only to end up with nothing.

    I'm with you, there are times where I HATE everything and my husband has to take everything away from me (it's been the case the past two weeks), but I know that when it's right, it'll flow on paper! That's a beautiful feeling!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so amazing that you came to such a crucial realization! Sometimes when you CAN'T do something you either realize you don't care or that you care very much. I love to write, too! I love love love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a working mum/writer is a constant battle with time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Suzie. Yes, writing time can be so frustrating when you've planned and it's taken away from you.

    So you're going to do NaNo right? Some planning involved there, but it is so satisfying to try to write a certain amount of words each day..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann - That's what I'm hoping for. I replenished my supply today :)

    Jen - It is a beautiful thing! Thanks!

    Karen - Absolutely! Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna - You are SO right! It's exhausting.

    L'Aussie - Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by and commented. Yes, I'm doing the NaNoWriMo. You're right about the planning and the satisfaction. I'll be blogging about it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzie,
    Mama said there'd be days like that, and now you earned an award. I left them for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete