Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Change and Adjustments

Isn't it freaky when another person in the literary world blogs on a topic that you were just thinking about and planning on blogging on yourself? That happened to me today. Have you seen Nathan Bransford's post on burnout? Go check it out and come on back.

I feel like a wimp complaining that I'm burned out. Why? I had the whole summer off, I've been working part-time for only a week, and have a great husband who helps me a LOT. But seriously, I am dragging like you wouldn't believe. At 3:00 every afternoon, my energy level plummets and I long for a nap. Unfortunately, I can't sneak in a snooze (and not because my bed is covered with unfolded laundry. Nope.). I really don't think I'm burned out. If I am, I'm in serious trouble - it's only September! I think my body is adjusting to change.

So far my strategy has been to try to get to bed earlier, though I need to work on that some more. I have a little rebellious streak in me that likes to stay up until 11:00pm. I also need to just give myself time. Time to adjust to my new schedule and to get the necessary daily tasks done more efficiently. Hopefully, that will give me some time to write without it feeling like a chore. Because really, why would I put myself through that if it wasn't what I felt passionate about?

I don't mind change. Change is good. It challenges me to grow. But sometimes it's mixed with frustration as I try and adjust from something comfortable to something different and challenging. Maybe I just need another cup of tea.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't read Nathan's blog. *note how we're on first name basis LOL* But some other blog recently posted about burnout, and I totally believe that we only get burned out on what we're passionate about, because we love it so much we don't make ourselves stop and then bingo-- burnout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of explains why I'm not burned out from cleaning the house :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted bout it recently too *grin* but it was more about having a pity party cause I'm sick of reading book reviews that I don't have time to read and I'm onto my 8th rewrite... *sigh* onwards and upwards!!

    http://damselinadirtydress.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete