Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Last Hurrah

In six days I'll be returning to work and need to get some things done before then. I love lists. I especially love crossing things off lists. Unfortunately, I get a bit enthusiastic and ambitious, adding things I just know I'll never get to. And this one is the same. My hope is that if put it on the blog it will guilt me into accomplishing most, if not all of it.
  1. Declutter my room. I really need to do this!
  2. Clean out 2 closets. Long overdue.
  3. Iron back-to-school-and-work clothes
  4. Label school stuff and pack backpacks
  5. Finish weeding my garden. I'm halfway there!
  6. Go out for Chinese food with friend. I need some fun in the middle of all this, right?
  7. Color my gray stripe which is reaching the inch mark.
  8. Write 10,000 words this weekend. Say what?

In the spirit of jumping on the bandwagon and riding into the sunset with dreams of finishing this first draft, I sort of committed myself to a writing challenge.

Sigh. Do I ever learn?

Over at Nathan's, one member started a Labor Day Weekend Write-Off. Set a goal and write like crazy for 3 days. Kind of like a mini NaNoWriMo. 10,000 words in 3 days sounded like a good idea at the time. I've never written that amount in such a short time but I'm going to give it a try. A last hurrah as the end of summer approaches. Sure, I could edit my post. I mean, would anyone really notice if I changed the amount to, oh, I don't know, 5,000 words? But no, I'll stick to my original goal (with the cloud of humiliation when I report back hanging over my head if I don't at least come within range). Speaking of end of summer hurrahs, I need to add one more thing to my list.

9. Take the family out for a long drive ending in icecream. No word count is going to take that away from me!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! 10,000 words in three days is insane. Are you planning to sleep? Eat? Breath?!

    Lists are love - good luck with the final mad rush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a mistake. It's actually 4 days, Friday through Monday.

    A hurricane is passing by us Friday afternoon/night. Not a bad one, just a dark and stormy night; the perfect conditions for settling in to write.

    ReplyDelete