Friday, December 17, 2010

Whatever

Words. An author's greatest tool. But we have to guard against the overuse of words and phrases, and avoid cliches at all cost. Fortunately, we can edit our writing before showing it to anyone. In every day conversation however, certain words and phrases become habit and can drive us (and others) crazy. I'll admit, I'm definitely guilty of this. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm overusing certain phrases. And if you have teens at home, the word "like" can send you over the edge.

At the end of the day, "whatever," is the most annoying word of 2010 according to the Marist Poll . Of course, it's not simply the word itself that's annoying. It's the dismissive tone accompanied by the mandatory eyeroll that grates on the nerves. Having said that, ( or if you prefer) That being said, "like" comes in as a close second. Maybe it's me, but I think my two oldest girls are secretly competing to see who can drive their mother to the brink of madness first by using "like" in their conversation. It is what it is, though. And to tell you the truth, when it comes to talking with my family and friends, no worries - it's all good. And honestly, you do what you gotta do even if that means taking the bad with the good.

Does that make sense?

Now it's your turn. What word or phrase sends you absolutely up a tree?

p.s. Gah! Absolutely is one of my weaknesses. I absolutely overuse it to death!

7 comments:

  1. Whatever takes the biscuit for me. Oh wait another annoyance. When you ask what did you do in school, at the friend’s house, etc and the reply is nothing. Hate that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popping by to send huge Christmas cheer and hugs to you and your family, Suzie. xxx

    Whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny that everyone uses cliches so much yet it's taboo in writing. It's hard not to write it for dialog.

    Whatver is high on my list. It's all good, too.

    Because ...

    it's all good!

    Have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I overuse absolutely too!

    And I'm always asking if things make sense. Especially in emails. I think I'm worried people will misunderstand something and for some reason I think asking "does that make sense?" will soften the misunderstanding -- because if I'm not even sure that I'm getting my message across, maybe they won't be too hard on me. LOL!

    I know I used to say "awesome" all the time as a teenager and it drove my dad bonkers.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann, that drives me crazy too!

    Happy Christmas to you and yours, Donna! Enjoy your holiday travels!

    Merry Christmas to you too, Donna (W)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too, Amy. And I still overuse "awesome" like it was 1984! My kids say "sick" when something is good/cool but I just can't bring myself to use it, lol. It's all good, though. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  7. "this too shall pass" bugs me, but I admire the attitude that comes with it. Merry Christmas to you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete