Thursday, December 30, 2010

Looking Back: My 2010

I know it’s not always fun and/or interesting to read about somebody else’s year, but it’s important for me to reflect on it and write it down, and I’d like to share it with you, my friends. For you were a big part of my past year and I thank you for taking a few moments out of your busy lives each week to read my ramblings (and to comment if you so choose).

Transitions
2010 was a very good year for me - a year of growth. I went through some transitions which may seem ordinary to some, but they changed my perspective and direction in life in positive ways. I also had some wonderful experiences with my family. I’m so thankful for them and how they love and support me.

The biggest transition for me was going from a stay-at-home mom for 15½ years to a part-time working mom. Someone other than my family depended on me which was scary at first. I've learned so much over my almost year there and love the people I work with. And I won't lie, receiving a paycheck feels great! However, I was forced (not kicking and screaming forced) to reevaluate my priorities and how I spend my free time. How could I get everything done in less time? What is important to me and how can I achieve those things?

The Answer For Me
  1. taking care of my family's needs is my #1 priority
  2. taking care of my needs - physically, spiritually, mentally - not skipping meals, regular check-ups, getting enough sleep, making time for reading & writing
  3. not letting the house fall to complete shambles, but also not freaking out if it isn't perfect
  4. writing when I can and setting realistic and attainable goals for my busy life and NOT FEELING GUILTY if I don't reach those goals in time frame I set for myself

I’m certainly not perfect at these things, not by a long shot, but I try to ask for help when I need it (even though I think I can do it all at times) and to surrender control (very hard after being home for so long). And though I can be hard on myself at times, I’m learning to forgive myself instead of beating myself up.

My mantra to myself: “Hey you’re not perfect, welcome to the rest of the world.”

My Not So Secret Writng Life
I started telling people that I was attempting to write a novel in 2009. My immediate family, some online friends, and a few ‘real life’ friends (for lack of a better term) knew about this from the beginning. I started two novels and put both aside unfinished. I'm on my third attempt and this year I tentatively told a few more friends and some extended family members, and their support has been great. The biggest step for me, though, was to start this blog. The title, My Not So Secret Writing Life really reflects that I was ready to step out from the shadows and announce to the world, “Hi. I’m a writer, too. Nice to meet you.”

I believe in myself and want to do what it takes to achieve publication. Like others pursuing this dream, I wanted to share my journey: to laugh with, learn from, support, and affirm other writers, the published and the unpublished. The writing community is one in which I want to be a part of.

Highlights of 2010

  • returning to work
  • attending the Harry Potter Movie Exhibit with my family
  • reaching out to writing community by following and commenting on more blogs
  • starting my own blog in August and meeting you
  • working on first draft of contemporary MG, Nitpicky
  • brainstorming ideas for a new writing project
  • meeting Laurie Halse Anderson

Thanks, 2010! I can't wait to see what 2011 has in store for me.

10 comments:

  1. Well it looks like you're doing pretty well so far :) and part time work will be great for inspiration, most my characters are based on those I know (or watch on reality TV *hee*). Hope 2011 is an awesome year for you, may you finish your novel!

    The Arrival, book one of the BirthRight trilogy, available on Amazon 1.1.2011
    www.damselinadirtydress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nicole and good luck with the release of The Arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. **editorial comment--I hate typos**

    Great reflections, Suzi. It's been a pleasure to "meet" you, and I've enjoyed reading your posts. Having raised 6 children, I like your priorities. It's important to remember that you must fill your own vessel if you want to have anything to give your family.

    The hardest thing for me in returning to full-time employment (and my days as a stay at home mom were much shorter than yours due to my hubby's health issues) was that I was at my job during my best hours of the day. My poor family had to settle with what was leftover. It wasn't the intent but the nature of the amount of energy a poor human woman has available to her. But knowing what was the highest thing on my list made it easy to give to them all that I had. Now they're all grown, and I have time for me ... and few regrets.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done with 2010 achievements. I've started telling family and friends about my writing and I hope I don't regret it. LOL! HAPPY NEW YEAR :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful New Year, Suzie. I'm looking forward to what 2011 brings us working/writing gals! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna W.- It's been a pleasure meeting you, too! After the many years of giving to others, it's wonderful that you have time to pursue what you love. Here's to a happy, healthy new year for you and your family!

    Madeleine - Happy New Year to you, too! I don't think you'll regret telling others about your writing. It's scary at first and they may not fully understand your committment but I've found it empowering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Donna, my incredibly disciplined, hard-working, super-organized, fearless friend. I have a feeling 2011 will be big for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your 'answers'! :)

    Hope the new year brings you all kinds of joy and wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jemi!
    I wish the same for you :)

    ReplyDelete