Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Thank You, Nathan Bransford

Do you ever feel like you're letting everyone down - your family, your friends, the writing communtiy, yourself -when you stop writing? I do.

Today's post by Nathan Bransford couldn't have been written at a better time. Sometimes I feel like my writing life - my me time, my novel, the friends I've made through blogging - are slipping away. I am in the midst of the most hectic month this year with proms/dances, awards ceremonies, my daughter's First Communion, birthday parties (3 [make that 4 since I began writing this post]), graduations, the science fair, along with spring sports. When there is down time, I sleep, snatch a few moments to read, or watch something that requires little concentration (I've become a big fan of HGTV and Storage Wars on A&E. Who knew?)

I'm a firm believer in what Nathan wrote in his post:

Life comes before writing every single time. Do what you need to do.

My new mantra.

I know I didn't need it, but thank you, Nathan, for the permission to put my writing on hold.  I can see the end of the madness; it's within sight.

Looking forward to a productive June, July, and August!

10 comments:

  1. Yep. You can do anythting you want in life but not everything. Your children won't always be there to do these things with. Your writing time will come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're growing up so fast! Looking forward to some down time this summer until we have to pack up the boy and send him to college.

      Delete
  2. That's so funny to read this blog. I read his blog today and felt relief. I think you really hit it when you said it's about giving yourself permission.

    To that end, I'm going to a retreat center out of town on Sunday for the night. I'm going to make the time to work on my writing. I'm worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, TL! Relief is the word. I have fought off guilt over the past 6 months, but family has had to come first. I wish you a very productive retreat! You're definitely worth it!

      Delete
  3. Great advice. I'll try to apply it, although my life is no where near as hectic as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nathan has helped many a writer with many a thing. He's a good guy!

    Hopefully when you get back to writing you will be rejuvenated...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read his blog for years, but ever since he stopped agenting and became an author, I find his posts more honest and heartfelt.

    I miss you btw. We are both so busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susie, I'm so glad I came across this today. This so true. Writing and the quest to get published can become such an obsession, and sometimes gets in the way of the important stuff of life.

    ReplyDelete