Friday, August 20, 2010

A Win

Thanks to one of my awesome sisters-in-law, my 11 year old and I were able to go to a *baseball game Wednesday night. It was a beautiful night and best of all the home team won. Now I promise I won't subject you to bad puns and analogies relating baseball to writing, but I will give you the answers to Wednesday's (read Tuesday because I'm still learning the blogger ropes and the day I drafted this appeared as the post date) first line quiz. Oh, you didn't know it was a quiz? Well, since I gave away Coraline, you all start with 1 out of 10. But Jason correctly identified 4 out of 10 for the win. Way to go! So without further ado, here are the answers.

  1. Coraline - Neil Gaiman
  2. I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith
  3. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
  4. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
  5. Feed - M.T. Anderson
  6. Princess Academy - Shannon Hale
  7. From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler - E.L. Konigsburg
  8. Leviathan - Scott Westerfeld
  9. Inkheart - Cornelia Funke
  10. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis

Surprised? I'll admit #10 surprised me. I loved this book growing up but when it comes to first lines it's not very intriguing. I think most of us are forgiving when we begin a new book and an ordinary line isn't going to stop us from reading further. As I mentioned, I'm working on the first draft of a novel. Sometimes it takes a while for me think of that perfect opening, but this time the line came first and I've been building on it ever since.

"Girls named Felicity should not be allowed to play tag football with boys, especially with Timothy Williams."

*I'm planning on posting some pics of the game, but I'm having difficulty uploading to blogger for some reason. I'll try again in a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment